Ever since the start of man, people suffer from their own and other’s sin (evil thoughts and actions) and have been intimidated by it. Thinking bad of others and lying darkens our hearts. Through each individual’s self-centered actions, it has created murders, environmental destruction, financial panic, sexual disorders, war, etc., and has caused our lives to be in chaos.
There are many things in this world to satisfy people such as living a prosperous life, amusements, being successful at work or studies, however, do any of these things truly brighten our hearts and satisfy our soul? Do any of these things take away the immense uneasiness we bear through our sins?
Toronto, in particular, being a metropolis, has but a stone’s throw away at nearly every street corner entertaining places and convenience, however, is it not true that there are still many people who feel empty inside? Or there may be people from Japan or other foreign nations who arrive here whom may feel lonely having left their birthplace or have to continue on even while being at a loss to the differences in culture. Instead of temporary satisfaction, does not everyone seek eternal salvation for their soul and peace within their heart?
Man was originally created as a masterpiece of God’s work. However, through sin, man became corrupted, and as punishment, death was introduced. As a consequence of being distanced from God, man has lost peace within its heart. It is through God’s son, Jesus Christ’s salvation through the cross that our souls can be born again anew into what is good. Through Jesus’ salvation, eternal life is promised to us as well as the joy of being reunited with God in an intimate relationship. We were to be punished for the sins we committed, however, Christ took that punishment in our place. He was put on the cross, died and was buried, but resurrected in 3 days, and starting with his disciples, appeared to many people. Thereafter, he rose to heaven, and the invisible Holy Spirit was sent and is even to this day with us, mediating our relationship with God. Even in sin, through grace, by the power of the Holy Spirit, we can accept Jesus Christ as our savior and be right with God. Through this, we have hope of life even in our current dead state. God always is with us. Therefore, we do not have to be intimidated by the uneasiness of this world that stems from our sinful nature nor do we need to feel alienated being in a foreign country.
Since approximately 2000 years ago, through those who were saved, Christ’s gospel message spread to the far reaches of this world. This Toronto based church was planted in 1996 through the gathering of Japanese people. We are provided this place to carry out our mission of worshiping God with joy, love each other, and starting with Japanese people, proclaim to the world the wonderful news of salvation. We can never claim ourselves to be perfect people. However, we continue to grow by standing firm to the truth of God’s word, the Bible. Through this, we can overcome the sins of this world. Our hope is that starting with loving our families, we can build up positive relationships with others, and through good works can establish a peaceful society.
As God so loved us first through Jesus Christ, using Toronto as a foundation, we will
1) Worship God,
2) Love each other,
3) Starting with the Japanese people, preach the good news of Christ to all the nations.
4) Pray all people be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth about the one and only God. (1 Timothy 2:4-5)
1) Worship God
- Being filled with the blessing of salvation, we wholeheartedly participate in worship service.
- Using both Japanese and English, we worship as one heart.
- With the time we are afforded, we pour out our affection, our abilities, use our physical gifts, and attend to worship with joy.
- We read the Bible, pray, connect with God everyday and worship Him at any time, place, and through all we do.
2) Love each other
- Being created by God, we esteem each and everyone.
- We help others grow spiritually, help in times of need, and pray for each other.
- By substantiating prayer meetings and Bible studies (small groups), we strengthen our bonds with each other.
- We are to love children and be good examples to them.
3) Starting with the Japanese people, preach the good news of Christ to all the nations
- We welcome Japanese people, Japanese-Canadians, those who are in international marriages, and those who come with interest.
- By imparting the Gospel to those who intend to return to Japan such as exchange students and temporary residents, we become a bridge of blessing to Japan.
- Through Sunday school we teach the meaning of faith to children.
- We pray and support the bridging ministry of Kodomoen between the church and the community.
- Whether at home, school, or work, no matter where we are, we spread the joy of salvation to people and live lives that exemplifies God’s glory.
4) Pray all people be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth about the one and only God
5) Pray that the Lord will give us a new pastor and a self‐supporting church at His good time, and therefore do good preparation to make it a reality
This Toronto based church was planted in 1996 through the gathering of Japanese people. We are provided this place to carry out our mission of worshiping God with joy, love for one other, and beginning with Japanese people, proclaim to the world the wonderful news of salvation. We are imperfect people. As such, we continue to grow by standing firm to the truth of God’s word, the Bible. Through this, we can overcome the sins of this world. Our hope is that by first loving our families, we can build up positive relationships with others, and through good works can establish a peaceful society.